Monday, October 6, 2008

Crepes

Mmmmm ... Just the sound of the word brings me back to Paris almost 10 years when I was footloose and fancy free. I'd just look at the little crepe stands and stare in amazement at the beautiful art of swirling the thick batter around. The crepe makers thought I was staring at them and get a free crepe for being their eye candy for a moment. Fiiiiine by me. Free crepe doused in Nutella from an unknown French man? Ooooh, the intrigue. This was also the same trip that another French man told me he wanted to "paint me like the Titanic" (as in... in the buff) ... but that is a story for another night.


So Crepes ... From my dear French friend Lyna. The secret here is let the batter sit for at least an hour if not overnight. The longer it sits the thicker the batter.

Crepes

1 cup flour

3 eggs

2 Tbs sugar

1 ½ cup milk


Mix the first 3 and ½ cup of milk. Stir until blended and then add the remaining milk. Let batter sit aside for 10 minutes to an hour. The longer it sits the stronger the crepe will be. Turn on stove top to medium heat. Lightly grease a small 6-8 inch fry pan. Pour a thin layer of batter into pan and rotate pan around until batter evenly covers the bottom. When lightly browned flip and cook another minute.

My favorite toppings ... Nutella, of course. Strawberries n' whip cream. Butter and lots of it. And Lyna's Special Sauce which includes equal parts butter & sugar and a hint of almond extract.

No comments: