Saturday, November 14, 2009

Buttermilk Pancakes

I love my classic Whole Wheat pancakes, which I can't believe I haven't posted yet. But every now and then I long for a good old white flour fluffy pancakes drenched in butter. Well, this will do. My 6 year old who normally eats 1-2 pancakes, just devoured 4. My 2 year old ate an extra pancake too. So when I asked if I should keep the recipe, my kids cheered yes!!!

Thanks to Serious Eats not only did I find another great recipe, I think I found a new cookbook I want, Gale Gand's Brunch!.

Interesting fact I just learned, "Buttermilk is not particularly fattening or buttery, because it's actually the liquid left behind after butter is churned out of cream." Or maybe you already knew that and are responding to me, "uh-duh!"

Gale Gand's Buttermilk Pancakes
From Serious Eats

- makes 12 3-to 4-inch pancakes -

(or in our case, 7 pancakes, 1 over-sized last pancake so mom can at least have one, and 1 giant Minnie Mouse pancake.)

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbs sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking
1 cup blueberries (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, beat the egg with a fork and then mix in the buttermilk, milk, and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and combine with a wooden spoon, leaving plenty of lumps.

Serve immediately, or keep warm on a plate in a 200-degree oven while you cook some more pancakes.

No comments: