Friday, October 1, 2010

Onion Strings

Well I have found a new favorite side. Holy cow these are tasty. Soooo tasty, that I am doing all that I can NOT to eat more while they all sit boiling hot on the table and I sit here waiting for my husband to get home with my monkeys so we can all eat them together. I am posting this BEFORE I even eat all of them. So yes go ahead and plan it in your menu. And I cut it straight from The Pioneer Woman. Her verbage at the bottom of the instructions is ooooh so true. I just wish I had another onion so that I actually could eat the entire first batch.

1 whole Large Onion
2 cups Buttermilk
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon (scant) Salt
¼ teaspoons (to 1/2 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
1 quart (to 2 Quarts) Canola Oil
Black Pepper To Taste


Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk. Soak at least an hour.
Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
Heat oil.
Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.
Repeat until onions are gone.
Eat before your family sees them.
Repeat with another onion, because they’ll be really mad they didn’t get any.

No comments: