Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Amish Bread

This was the first bread recipe that I learned to cook. It deserves much attention. It was given to me by Miss Glenna Mae, one of my YW leaders back when. Her direct quote was, "This is the easiest recipe and you can't mess it up." Weeeell, I have messed it up before and I've tried variations.

And I think I've made it into perfection.

Amish Bread

2 ½ cups milk (or water, but milk makes it much more moist)

5 Tbs sugar or honey)

3 Tbs butter

1 Tbs salt

… mix and heat in microwave until slightly hot to the touch.


add ...

2 pkgs (or 4 ½ tsp) of rapid rise yeast


Then pour into your mixer and add...

flour


You want the dough to be soft almost sticky. The less dry it is the less hard the loaf will be after cooking. Mix in blender just until mixed and then hand knead it a little bit. Do not over knead. Grease bowl and dump it in. Put in oven with no light to help the dough rise.

Let rise 8 minutes and punch it down. Repeat this 4 times total. Ooooor, just forget about it like I do and punch it down in an hour and again when you remember.

Divide the dough in two pieces. Roll into a log and bend it like an arch. For decorative purposes, cut ½ inch deep along top of bread. Brush egg yolk and 1 tsp milk over bread.


Place in oven and THEN turn it on to 360 degrees. When your oven tells you it has reached that temperature, then set your timer for 20 minutes.

No comments: