Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Amaranth, Quinoa and Dark Chocolate Cake

It was my friend Tara's baby shower today. We surprised her today at the park. I made the flourless chocolate cake. But knowing my friend, who loves healthier foods, I found this recipe and HAD to try it simply because there was Amaranth flour and Quinoa flour. And since I had both on hand, I was in.

I think this turned out to be the favorite for most people there. Yes I had to make two flourless chocolate cakes. This one and another traditional one from The Best Recipe. (Which I'll post one of these days.)

This has a very hearty nutty and delicious flavor.

Thanks to the Washington Post for this recipe. I will make it again. But I'll add strawberries next time.

From Beatrice Peltre's blog La Tartine Gourmande

Ingredients
4 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, about 70 percent
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons amaranth flour (1 ounce)
3 tablespoons quinoa flour (1 ounce)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup pecans, chopped coarsely (1 ounce)
3 eggs
Pinch of salt

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a springform pan and line it with parchment paper. Butter the sides and the paper.

Melt chocolate with the butter.

Separate egg yolks from whites.

Beat yolks with sugar and vanilla until very light in color.
Add the melted chocolate to yolk mixture and mix until well incorporated. Add nuts and flours to batter until smooth in texture.

Add a pinch of salt to egg whites and beat them until you have stiff peaks. Gently fold into cake batter, making sure not to overmix and deflate.

Pour the batter in the mold. Surround it with foil and fill the foil with boiling water about halfway up the outside of the pan and cook for about 35-40 minutes. Check if cake is done by inserting the blade of a knife or a skewer. It should come out almost dry, but not totally (the cake is moist).

Remove the cake and let cool slightly before unmolding. Let cool on a rack.

No comments: