Monday, May 16, 2011

Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes with Mint Fudge Sauce

Okay so I promised for about two months that I would make chocolate lava cakes for bookclub. I sampled 2 different recipes. Ugh. Overcooked by 2 minutes. It was too spongy anyway. I tried recipe #2 and there was only a 10 second window to either over or under cook. I tried cooking this one three different ways. No luck.

Melissa was distraught when I told her two days before that the lava cakes weren't going to happen and immediately said she knew of a great recipe. Unfortunately she gave it to my husband the next night at an activity that I couldn't attend. Charlie failed to tell me and assumed I'd just find it on the desk. He was right. I found it ... ONLY 45 MINUTES BEFORE SHOWTIME!!!

So with the Chocolate Raspberry Tart already made as well as Briana's Shortbread already prepared and ready for a last minute pull together fondue, I decided ... What the heck. So made them extremely last minute and tried them first to make sure they worked.

I was more than surprised. And this fudge sauce makes a huuuge difference.

SAUCE
4 1/2 oz semisweet chocolate chopped
2 oz unsweetened chocolate chopped
1/3 cup hot water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 tsp peppermint extract

Stir both chocolates on top of a double boiler, or in my case, a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water. Once melted, add the remaining ingredients. Remove from water and cool slightly. Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Reheat before serving.

LAVA CAKES
5 oz semisweet chocolate chopped
10 Tbs unsalted butter
3 large eggs
3 large eggs yolks
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour

Preheat to 450 degrees. Butter 6 3/4 ramekins or whatever else you choose to serve them in. Stir chocolate and butter over medium heat. Cook slightly. Whisk eggs and yolks in large bowl to blend. Whisk in sugar, then chocolate mixture and flour. Pour batter into dishes. (Can be made one day ahead. Cover and chill.)

Bake cakes until sides are set but center remains soft and runny. 11-14 minutes. WATCH CLOSELY. You can run a small knife around the edges to loosen it and turn it upside down if you'd like. I served min in the ramekin with a scoop of vanilla ice cream right next to it and aaaaalll drizzled with the yummy fudge sauce.

No comments: